, ,

2019 ANNUAL KWS CONSERVATION EDUCATION WORKSHOP: Fostering Cohesion and Partnerships

Under new leadership, KWS hosted the 2019 annual KWS Conservation Education Workshop. Speaking at the Workshop, KWS Executive Director, General Brig (rtd) John Migui Waweru, endorsed the formation of the Conservation Education Forum. He gave his  full support for its objectives and areas of focus. His main concerns remains the high level of Human Wildlife Conflicts, and stated that 65% of Kenyan land is populated by humans, and the other 35% by wildlife. The proximity of people and wildlife amidst a growing human population would continue to trigger conflict among the two since all depend on the natural habitat for survival.

The Laikipia Forum took the lead on one of the conservation education thematic groups – Public Engagement and Research. The Forum illustrated the achievements of citizen science in the greater Laikipia area, collaboration with regional conservation organizations and county governments, and the engagement of wananchi in conservation data collection.

The Annual KWS Conservation Education Workshop was held on the 21st of May, 2019, at the Kenya Wildlife Services Headquarters where the Conservation Education Forum secretariat and membership pledged to be strategic in its operations, vibrant, all inclusive and above all, promote synergy among all conservation actors in the country. This was the unanimous consensus reached by members of the forum and over 15 conservation organizations attending the workshop.

The Conservation Education Forum includes three thematic areas: Community Outreach, Public Engagement and Research, and Learning Institutions.  The workshop sort to showcase organizational strengths and come up with modalities of leveraging one another for impactful conservation education programming, as well as for the development of a single CE curriculum that could be adopted and used by all conservation education organizations in the country.

While concluding the workshop, the chair of the Conservation Education Forum, Ms. Mary Kirabui highlighted that our primary goal is to promote environmental conservation broadly. Conservation education is but one of many tools that contribute to this goal. She emphasized the need for all the players in the sector to be fully dedicated in their work and to be true ambassadors of wildlife conservation and environmental protection.

The workshop was organized by Kenya Wildlife Service, The Conservation Education Forum Secretariat with support from: WildlifeDirect, Stand Up, Shout Oust (SUSO), Wildlife Clubs of Kenya, National Museums of Kenya, and Africa Nazarene University.

For more information contact Mary Kirabui at mkirabui@kws.go.ke  (0723 594431) and Benedict Omondi at benedict.omondi@laikipia.org (0720 687 479)

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *