THE NEW-OLD SOLUTION TO WATER SECURITY
The Ewaso Maji Users Association (EMU SACCO), the newest innovation by MKEWP – Mount Kenya Ewaso Water Partnership, is working to enhance water security for communities through financial solutions for Laikipia farmers
As part of MKEWP’s goal to improve water security in the Ewaso River Basin, EMU-SACCO has been developed to finance water investments at farm level. The water crisis in the Ewaso River Basin has been a never-ending challenge for our communities, too often accompanied by conflicts among the people.
Unreliable dry season river flows have led to general misuse of the already limited resource. This situation pits communities against each other, and puts a lot of them at a disadvantage.
To ease pressure on the already limited resource, MKEWP wants to increase and accelerate innovate water financing for water investment at farm level.
EMU SACCO is a community-based financier that supports farmers access to finances for household level investment in water harvesting, storage and efficient used. We encourage water users to be self-reliant and to invest in on-farm and community water conservation infrastructure.
Our objects are to:
- Bridge financial gaps in water investment.
- Provide a savings platform for water users
- Offer a borrowing fund to help water users finance water storage and efficient use.
- Promote water conservation within the Ewaso Basin.
WHY WE ARE DIFFERENT.
- We offer affordable and flexible rates.
- We provide linkages between water users and modern technology service providers.
- We aim at economic improvement of livelihoods of water users.
- Link farmers to markets and business opportunities.
EMU-SACCO offers a revolutionary approach to water sustainability in our communities. We use a well-known Kenya credit and savings tool to accelerate solutions and ownership to our water conservation and management challenges.
EMU-SACCO is hosted by the Mount Kenya Water Partnership (MKEWP). Our offices are located at the Laikipia Forum premises in Nanyuki.
Join us – we are 50 members strong already. Please stop by for a visit and become a member!!