On 20th August 2021, the Laikipia Forum held its Annual General Meeting. 21 conservation leaders and organizations were present at this meeting.
The most significant change to the Forum’s operations is the change from an implementing organization to a true FORUM. The Forum is a coalition of the willing – those dedicated to natural resource conservation and management in the landscape in various ways. The Forum becomes a platform for discussion, resolution, advocacy and action on common natural resource issues in the landscape.
In line with the new Forum, the number of board members has increased to 15. The organizations nominated represent different themes and voices in the greater Laikipia landscape. These organizations are:
- Mount Kenya Ewaso Water Partnership
- Mpala Research Centre
- Laikipia County Government
- ILMAMUSI Forest Association
- Laikipia Tourism Association
- Space for Giants (in association with GZT and Lion Landscapes)
- Ewaso Maji Users Sacco
- Oramat Lenaboisho Cooperative Society (working with IMPACT)
- Laikipia Conservancies Association
- Laikipia Farmers Association
- Northern Kenya Conservation Education Working Group
Organizations that couldn’t attend the meeting were encouraged to create ties with the nominated organizations to ensure that all players in conservation of our landscape are heard.
Major General (retired) Peter Waweru, the long-serving chair, also took this opportunity to step down from his role as the Forum’s Chair. A role he had held for 17 years, and looking back, he relished every moment of it.
“With increased collaboration, we can only be optimistic about the future of this landscape.”
We look forward to sharing the new faces of this board with you once these organizations select representatives.