Members of the IL Ngwesi Conservancy community held a special general meeting to agree on their Boards’ proposed Carbon Credit Fund Projects.
Through the Northern Rangeland Trust, a total of 14 conservancies have been awarded Kshs 36.6 Million towards climate change mitigation. As per the requirements of the carbon oversight committee at the NRT, a quorum of 70% at an AGM is required for any agenda to be passed. This requirement was met at the general meeting on the 25th of March 2022.
The overall distribution of these funds received for climate mitigation is based on 40% of their allocation that goes to conservancy operations, with the remaining 60% used to support the implementation of the selected Community Carbon Fund Projects, with at a 50 – 50% split of this portion used for operations and staff salaries, and rangeland activities respectively.
IL Ngwesi community unanimously agreed and endorsed the implementation of the following financing of projects:
- Education bursaries – Kshs 8.5 M
- Health – 4 M
- Water – 2.2 M
- Land Restoration – 4.8 M
Through their chair, Mr. Kip Ole Polos, Il Ngwesi Community Conservancy shared some of the major achievements from 2018 to 2021.
- Education: Bursaries: in the year 2019, 1.8 million shillings disbursed to 317 students for Il Ngwesi members and this year 2022, 3.6M was disbursed to 537 students.
- Water: Distributed over 1500 water filters to Il Ngwesi community courtesy of Kenya health care initiative to ensure that members can access clean water for consumption at the village level.
The repair and restoration of the Loraigai Spring with the assistance of the Forum and Disney Conservation Fund that included the separate water access points for wildlife, livestock and people.
- Land Restoration: 50 acres of land in the conservancy rehabilitated and reseeded, with the assistance of the Forum and FAO/GEF6 funding.
- Registration of Il Ngwesi Group Ranch under the new Community Land Act (CLA). We are the first group ranch to be registered under the CLA in Kenya.
A few challenges were also highlighted:
- Desert locusts: posed some threat, though didn’t cause as much damage in the area as many people thought.
- Grazing plans: some areas tried to follow up with the grazing plans, though plans were not fully adhered to.
- Water pipe at the cultural area: the pipes connecting water from Ngarendare river to the lodge is at times destroyed causing water shortage at the lodge and the dispensary.
- Corona virus (Covid-19): This has caused a major close down of the tourism industry in the entire world. In the case of Il Ngwesi lodge, most bookings were cancelled/postponed until further notice. Amidst the tough times we were able to raise money for lodge renovation.
Moving forward the Conservancy plans to focus on several projects that include
- Bee keeping project at Il Ngwesi conservation area: Beekeeping is part of conservation, so Il Ngwesi land management committee (CLMC) intends to introduce a bee keeping project to conserve some acacia tree species from elephant destruction where in many conservancies they are disappearing, and as well as an enterprise project where the 2 lodges can benefit from the honey produced from the beekeeping project as well as the external consumers. This will increase revenue through the sale of honey and other bee product.
- Updating of the Il Ngwesi 5 years strategic plan.
- Update of the Il Ngwesi community register.
- Create an educational pull fund.
- Continue with the on-going rhino (re)introduction project.
- Fencing of II Ngwesi lands at Ethi to grow grass/hay for members
For more information please have a read of the Chairman’s full statement here