The Mazingira Conservation Fund award process uses an open call for proposals. Each grant proposal is preceded by a concept paper. The concept paper is submitted on-line. The concept paper should not exceed 2 pages. The Budget should not exceed 1 page.
Typically, a period of two weeks is given for the development of a concept paper. The concept note will include:
- No smaller than 11-point font of either Times New Roman or Arial
- Project Title
- Map of the project area (does not count against concept paper length)
- The overall goal of the project
- Expected number of beneficiaries
- Specific activities that are expected to achieve your goal
- A proposed project budget (not to exceed exceeding KSH 250,000)
- Duration of the Project
- The person or community representative applying for the grant, address, email contact, telephone, and a CV. (does not count against concept paper length)
- A letter of endorsement for the grant concept from an affiliate organization, sponsor, business, or group. (Does not count against concept paper length)
- Incomplete concept papers or concept papers that do not comply with this criterion will be rejected.
Registered as Community Forest Association by Registrar of Societies. Encompasses four group ranches, i.e. Ilngwesi, Makurian, Mukogodo, and Sieku which surround Mukogodo Forest Reserve.
What Happens After You Submit Your Concept Paper?
- After the closing date, the Concept papers will be reviewed by the MCF Awards Committee. If additional information is required on specific projects, follow ups will be made with the lead applicant indicated in the proposal. Up to 5 concept papers can be approved during each grant cycle.
- Once concept papers have been assessed and approved, written feedback will be sent to all successful project applicants. The decisions will be shared by email to the contact address provided in the concept paper.
- The selected concept paper applicants will be invited for a grant application workshop, which will involve the following subjects:
- Actual grant application development
- Development of a Results framework
- Development of a detailed budget
- Development of workplans
- Successful applicants will then be given an additional two weeks to complete a full, on-line grant application.
- Up to 5 grant applications will be evaluated by a MCF committee and awards made based on funds available.
Grant proposals are evaluated by a MCF Award Committee and priority is given to grants that meet all of the requirements and cover at least one of MCF’s thematic areas. The MCF committee has 2-3 weeks to review the grant proposals and will contact successful applicants.
Grant Award and Contract
- Each grant award is accompanied by a grant contract specifying the following:
- Name of Project
- Contract contact person (person-in-charge), name, address, telephone, and email
- Bank details
- Reporting requirements, formats, and frequency
- Publicity, social media, and communication protocols
- Funding parameters and frequency of grant payments, budgets, and accounting requirements
- Data collection, management, and ownership
- Other administrative requirements as required by law