JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT and POSITION DESCRIPTION
The Laikipia (Wildlife) Forum hosts a variety of non-profit partners in its support of natural resources conservation and management in the greater Laikipia landscape. One of the largest of these partners is the Mount Kenya Ewaso Water Partnership (MKEWP). The Partnership is supported by the Forum with all administrative matters related to grants management. We are seeking to fill this position on behalf of MKEWP.
Water Resource Specialist
MKEWP is a public-private partnership of water stakeholders in the Upper Ewaso Ng’iro water basin. It’s focus is the Upper Ewaso Basin and includes the counties of Isiolo, Meru, Nyeri, Nyandarua, and Laikipia – an approximately 15000 sq km area. The Partnership is supported by with key contract oversight, management, fundraising, services by the Laikipia (Wildlife) Forum. You are part of a multi-stakeholder organization, and strong water secretariat, based in Nanyuki, Kenya.
The Water Resource specialist is responsible for the supervision of technical contributions to MKEWP programming. Technical contributions include issues related to WRUA governance, organization and management, water engineering design and contracting, donor contract management, planning and reporting.
- Manage the technical inputs to donor contracts. This includes writing of reports based on work plans, contract deliverables, and field work.
- Provide expert advice on the design and contracting of water engineering requirements, including those related with boreholes, common intakes, small dams and pans, spring protection, water delivery articulation, water storage and conservation, irrigation systems, all types of water pump technology, water kiosks, water metering, etc.
- Provide technical supervision of water programming related to WRUAs and all aspects of WRUA system supporting the WRUA Development Cycle
- Fundraising and proposal development
- Provide leadership within MKEWP to establish and maintain critical relationships with County, regional and national water authorities.
- Maintain strong links with the MKEWP Council, and water service providers.
- Maintain an active and robust network of water sector actors, technicians, consultants, etc in the Upper Ewaso Basin
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate, communicate, and cooperate with other sectors impacting natural resources conservation in the same landscape.
The Water Resources specialist reports to the MKEWP Coordinator.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of practical water engineering experience, preferably in the Upper Ewaso region.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field mandatory. Masters Degree preferred.
- Excellent writing and financial management skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications
- Strong rural development and social/group dynamic skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in workshop organization, management and facilitation.
- 4+ years of WASH experience specifically an advantage
- Valid, clean driver’s license
- Proficiency in English, Kiswahili, and we prefer at least one of the predominant ethnic groups of the Basin – Kikuyu or Maa.
Applications and Deadline
Submit applications in writing to the Executive Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions will include:
- Letter of application indicating why you are uniquely qualified for this work and speaking to each of the responsibilities in the position description.
- 3 references who have either supervised your work and/or for whom you have worked during your professional career.
All applications must be received by July 15.